About Me

My photo
This blog is made up of the ramblings and going on's in my life. Some exciting and some not so much...so I will spice those experiences up. LOL Jump on board and follow me along this journey I call "life".

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Caregiving!!!

The last two weeks have found us mostly in Moore County.  On August 14th, Mark's dad was taken to the hospital due to dehydration.  He was released the following afternoon.  We stayed until Saturday afternoon to make sure that someone was with him at all times as he was very weak.  I made him some milkshakes out of "Boost", the nutritional drink, that seemed to help perk him up.  He seemed to be better when we left, and I was hoping he would keep his strength up, and not have a relapse.

Then on Monday August 22nd, I realized that Hurricane Irene was predicted to hit the NC coast.  Mark and I decided to go ahead and get our groceries for the storm early.  While going to the store, we got a call that Mark's mom had been taken to the hospital.  We got our groceries and headed back to Moore County.  She had pneumonia is what they told us when we arrived.  Mark and his brother, Dwight, stay around the clock the first 48 hours to make sure she was okay.  Then on Thursday we left to go home to secure all our outside stuff.  We were going to stay during the hurricane, but when they started predicting bad weather where Mark's dad lives, we decided it was best to go and be with him and make sure he was okay during the storm.  So we are still in Moore County...haven't been home to see what all has happened, but my parents say that nothing news worthy happened at our house.  That is very good news, and I am happy to report no damage at our house.

I am very tired, and haven't slept well in the last 2 weeks.  I am looking forward to going home and getting back to our regular schedule.  I really realized these last few weeks, that you need a break when you are caregivers for someone, and 24 hrs doesn't cut it.  I have missed my several days at home each week.  I have also found that caregiving is not an easy job as most would think...not if you do your job throughly.  There are always things coming up...like getting the van serviced and making sure all medicine is on hand, even when the insurance says that it is not ready to be filled (but you are out).

I wouldn't trade these last few years for anything though...we have learned so much history from Mark's dad about the family and the area that Mark grew up in.  We have had time to spend with him and Mark's mom, look through old pictures and listen to stories of the good old days....they didn't seem to be too many good days. LOL

To all who are caregivers...I salute you and the job that you do!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment