About Me

My photo
This blog is made up of the ramblings and going on's in my life. Some exciting and some not so much...so I will spice those experiences up. LOL Jump on board and follow me along this journey I call "life".

Thursday, February 10, 2011

They Have My Life!!!

It started when I was in elementary school.  I fell in love with the prairie life, or the pioneer life after reading the Little House on the Prairie books.  There was something facinating about that way of life.  Raising livestock and your own vegetables, making bread, sewing clothing, making quilts, tending crops in the field and going fishing with a cane pole.  Then reality set in and prairie life didn't look so appealing.  I mean going to an outhouse, no air conditioner, no running water, no electricity, getting up at 3 am and going to bed at 6 pm and no internet...what was I thinking.  Maybe I need to be a 21st century rancher with a helicopter.

 Also, if every rancher/pioneer had luck the way the Ingalls family had luck, then NO THANK to the ranch life.  Those poor people always had one disaster after another.  The only other family that had worse luck was either the Walton's or the Evans Family from Good Times.  Urban family, country family and pioneer family...all with bad luck.  Then I grew up and found that those things are just life...no matter what era you lived in.
 I still have my dreams of looking out my window at snow capped mountains and red barns, but they are just dreams.  For one thing I live on less than an acre of land...not exactly a sprawling ranch spread.  My vision of snow capped mountains and red barns are only in my mind.  No cattle rides or branding parties in my future, unless I visit a dude ranch on vacation. 
For the life me I don't really know why I would even like to live on ranch.  For one thing I am scared to death of a horse...which I think is essential to living on a ranch.  I want to believe that if I was living on a ranch that horses would be my friend...not sure about that.

After all my dreaming, I stumbled upon this lady's blog who is living my life.  Well, not my life exactly but the one I have dreamed about since the 5th grade.  Meet Ree Drummond and her family who live on a cattle ranch in Oklahoma.  Well, Oklahoma was not my dream spot, but she is living on a ranch.  She has a fantastic blog that gets over 2 million hits a week...I have 12 followers and my daddy.  Her daily life is so fasinating that I can't wait to see what happens next, and yes, they have disasters as well.  They didn't have any water for the longest time due to the snow and ice and that is needed for cattle to live I learned.
After reading post after post on her blog, I thought...this lady is living the life that I have dreamed about.  Clad in jeans and boots she goes out with her husband to feed the cattle.  Which brought me to another question.  Can you live on a ranch and wear capri's and flip flops?  Not a fan of my feet being hot, and I think that I look cutier in capri's than jeans.  So after I weigh in on my likes and dislikes and being afraid of horses, maybe the ranch life should and always just be a dream.

1 comment: