About Me

My photo
This blog is made up of the ramblings and going on's in my life. Some exciting and some not so much...so I will spice those experiences up. LOL Jump on board and follow me along this journey I call "life".

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

What Does It Mean????

I see the term used so often today, "I am a follower of Christ."  Which to be honest disturbs me.  The reason this disturbs me so much, because most people that use this term don't fully believe the entire bible, disregards miracles in the bible and I have found generally interprets the bible to fit anything in their life at the moment....they also are not faithful to the church or the doctorine of the bible (this has been my observation on some) and some have never accepted the Lord as their Savior (let me just say this is based on some who I have talked to...not all)  It is like they are still searching for something.  Saying that I am a follower of Christ is like saying, "I am following Jennifer Aniston on Twitter or someone you don't know on Pinterest because you like "some" of their ideas."  You don't know Jennifer Aniston or this person on pinterest, but a few of their ideas or their life intrigues you.  Jesus didn't die for you to follow Him around and watch and learn at a distance.  He died to save us from our sins, to have a PERSONAL relationship with us.  I like the phrase that I am a Child Of God (it may sound old fashion to some), but He is my Heavenly Father.  And if someone is your Father, you are not His follower; but rather His child.  I am a Christian!! What is wrong with that phrase...I am a believer in Christ...still a little sketchy to me...I believe in a lot of things, but doesn't mean I have a personal realationship with them.  Myself and all those who have accepted Him as Lord and Savior have be bought with His blood that was shed for you and me.  The term follower is just too loose for me...you might as well say I am following the tides of the ocean or the green van in front of me.  It also sound noncommittle to me.  Like I am following Him and checking Him out to see if that is really the way I want to go.  In general, I am not impressed by the phrase nor does it make me think you more spiritual or closer to God than anyone else.  It does make me think that you use it in a general way as not to offend anyone on what you think about God.  If you have ever watched the Passion of Christ, then you have some idea of what Jesus went through for us.  Don't generalize your beliefs, lay them out in plain english and let people know what Christ did for us, so that we may have eternal life.   Take a bold stand!!! Generalizing where you stand with God is an insult to Him.  Let people know that you a Child of God purchased through the blood He shed for you on Calvary...not just a follower, who is looking to hop on the train at a convenient time (this is how it sounds to me). I am sure lots will disagree.   You will disagree with me and take a stand on why you like that term, and how I am so wrong about you.  But better yet, stand a strong firm stand in the eyes of the world, they are the ones who are living in darkness.  They need a beacon of light...that comes from that personal relationship with Jesus Christ, not someone who just says, "Yes, I am a follower of Christ."  Don't be ashame that you know God in an intimate way. 

Now this is my take on this blog....this writing is my opinion, and you can agree or disagree.  But here is why I shared.  I too try so hard not to offend people, but not anymore as far as where the Lord is concerned.  Time is short, and people are in need of a Savior and I am not doing my duty by tip toe around the situation and not mincing words, and trying so hard not to offend or make them feel uncomfortable.  The truth is sin is sin and you and disguise it, disregard it or ignore it...but it is still there.  The truth is Jesus died for your sins....all you have to do is call upon the name of the Lord and you shall be saved.  America and this whole world needs more Christians to call themselves what they really are...Christian, Children of God and a soul that has been purchased by the precious blood of the Lamb.  He's not ashamed of you, so don't you be ashamed of Him.

3 comments:

  1. the way you feel about the word 'follower' is the way i feel about the word 'christian' . . .b/c it is taken SO out of context way to often . . christian music, christian school, christian bookstore, etc . . . mainly to make others feel excluded from the Church {big C} i feel that word was meant to only be descriptive of people, not things. i do consider myself a follower of jesus mainly b/c i believe that he alone, leads me. most def say that i am a child of god & i also wouldn't mind being referred to as a disciple of christ b/c that means he is correcting & teaching me - hope you all are doing well, t-bay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry, hit publish too soon :) - i also think it's a generational/cultural "thing" while I am at the "older" in of the generation up rising :) we {or I} have seen the word christian used very shallowly & self gratifying in our life time. I've also seen it used to be incredible hurtful to others - so maybe there's just a part of me that doesn't want to be labeled that way - does that make any sense?! plus, jesus himself ask the disciples to 'follow him', so when i say i follow him, it seems so much more intimate to me. sorry for rattling on on your page - just thought i'd give some insight ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a child of God .And vey proud of it but I also take care never to turn someone off and then I feel guilty.I am a work in progress.

    ReplyDelete