About Me

My photo
This blog is made up of the ramblings and going on's in my life. Some exciting and some not so much...so I will spice those experiences up. LOL Jump on board and follow me along this journey I call "life".

Monday, July 11, 2011

The Cotton Exchange!!!

This past week found Mark and I playing tourist once again in our great city of Wilmington.  There is so much to do that we have a hard time deciding.  Since there was a threat of rain, we picked an inside place.  We went downtown to The Cotton Exchange.

 Front Street Entrance
Nutt Street Entrance

At the turn of the century, majestic sailing ships delivered treasures from around the world to the Port of Wilmington. Paddle-wheel boats plied the broad Cape Fear River from Southport to Fayetteville. Cotton was king, and one of the largest and busiest cotton export companies in the world was located in Wilmington. Today, The Cotton Exchange is still an adventure in trade. Eight graciously restored buildings connected by brick walkways, open-air courtyards, and gigantic heart pine beams house 30 unique specialty shops and restaurants, each a charming reflection of the style and feel of Wilmington's 19th century working port days. In 1975-76, The Cotton Exchange was the first downtown complex in North Carolina to adapt and utilize existing buildings, serving as an excellent example of local preservation efforts.  It is full of history along with old machinery that was used in the cotton era.



 Beautiful court yard with places to eat outside.
Lots of shops to browse

Nice quaint atmosphere

 

I loved coming to shop here.  There are great shops and restaurants in The Cotton Exchange.  You could spend the whole day here browsing around.  I especially liked the Fire & Spice Gourmet.  I stocked up on lots of spices and rubs.  They have a huge variety of spices, dip mixes, batters, soups and NC made products. 
 
The Lady and the Pooch was another favorite of mine.  They sell the bling...at very reasonable prices.
Need I say more about the bling that they carry...I love this ring, and only for $10.


The Two Sisters Bookery was another one of my favorites...but then again I love books.  They carry local authors as well as lots of NC authors.  One local author was signing books that day.
Mark with local author, James Larrick
 
I loved The Cotton Exchange.  It is a beautiful place downtown Wilmington.  If you live here and have never been...which was my case...please go.  If you ever visit Wilmington, it is a must see place while vacationing.

No comments:

Post a Comment