About Me

My photo
This blog is made up of the ramblings and going on's in my life. Some exciting and some not so much...so I will spice those experiences up. LOL Jump on board and follow me along this journey I call "life".

Friday, May 28, 2010

Summer Reading

Let me help you out with some great summer reading this year. Lately I have fell in love with the writings of Debbie Macomber. First, let me say that if you are interesting in something intellectual stimulating, then this will not be the blog for you. Debbie Macomber and the others that I have read are just for pure enjoyment. These literary titles will not be on Jeopardy. These are great books to read at the beach, beside the pool or wherever you enjoy reading. I know that the Burgaw library has all of these books in their library. The Vass library in Moore County will have to order the Dakota series for you from the Carthage branch. Some of the Cedar Cove books are in the honor books at the Vass library. The honor books work like this...you take all the books you want to read on the honor shelves and bring them back when you want to. I love this system. I took 16 books 2 weeks ago and I have only 2 more to read. These are all paperback books. Amanda, they have a huge selection of the love inspired Christian books in the honor book shelves. I love to read, and just want to share some books that I have just loved this month.



First is the Cedar Cove series by Debbie Macomber. These are books that have the address' for titles such as, 16 Lighthouse Rd, 204 Rosewood Lane and 6 Rainier Dr. These books take place in Cedar Cove, Washington just across the Pugent Sound from Seattle. You will meet a variety of citizens that live in Cedar Cove. You will be immersed in the world of Cedar Cove and the ups and downs of their citizen's everyday lives. There are currently 9 books in the series with book number 10, 1022 Evergreen Place, to come out in September of this year. The best way to know in what order to read them is to go by the address in the book title....16 Lighthouse Rd is book one, 204 Rosewood Lane is book 2 and so on...they are in numerical order by the first number of the address. Also there is a Cedar Cove Christmas, which should be read between book 8 and 9. There is also a Cedar Cove Cookbook, as they talk alot about recipes in these books. I just bought this off Ebay and it shipped today. I can't wait to get it.



Promise Texas trilogy set by Debbie Macomber is another great series. There is a follow up book called Return to Promise. These are simply title Promise Texas Vol 1, Vol 2 and Vol 3. Visit the great ranchers of Promise Texas as they see their town welcome new towns people and as old conformed bachelors find love. Ranching isn't always easy, but the citizens of Promise make it work.



Dakota series by Debbie Macomber is another great set. Be whisked away to Buffalo Valley, ND...a dying town that tries it best to stay alive. They finally see new business' and new towns people settle in their town despite the harsh Dakota winters. You will meet a colorful cast of towns people in this series. Get mesmerized as this small Dakota town get revitalized as new people open their hearts to Buffalo Valley. The books in this series are Buffalo Valley, Always Dakota and Dakota Home.



Montana is another book by Debbie Macomber. It is a stand alone novel that takes place in...well, Montana. Molly brings her 2 boys to her grandpa's ranch in Montana. There have been lots of strange things happening on the ranch. Secret offers to buy the ranch and a militia group in the area is rearing their ugly heads. Lose yourself in the lives of Molly and the ranch foreman, Sam Dakota, as they try to find out who is behind the vandalism on the ranch while holding on to the only heritage that Molly has left.



The last book I have read is also by Debbie Macomber and it is called Changing Habits. In this book you will follow 3 women who enter the convent to become nuns. You will experience the circumstances that brought them to leave their lives behind and the courage they found to leave the Church and the convent. It is based on Debbie's aunt Shirely's life, who had this very experience and some of the nuns that served with her; who also decided to leave. One of the best books I have read in a long time.



Hope everyone has a great summer with some great reading. I just love to read and get whisked away to another world. When I find an author I like, I devour every book they have written. Also Lavyrle Spencer and Mary Higgins Clark have found their way into my stack of books. Worm your way into a good book!!!

2 comments:

  1. I have seen you posting a lot about this series and it made me interested. I love finding new authors. My "promise" to myself right now is to not go to the library until I read more books I already own. I figure if I paid for them, got them from someone, or borrowed them, I should read them first. But I can't wait to get back to the library!

    Mary Higgins Clark has always been hit or miss for me. I'll be interested to know your favorites of hers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Two Little Girls in Blue the best by Mary Higgins Clark. I have some more of her's I got today from the honor shelves. I try to divide up my own books between here and home. The ones you sent me will stay here until I get back. I am taking the honor books home with me to read down there. I have loved Debbie Macomber's books...especially the series.

    ReplyDelete