About Me

My photo
This blog is made up of the ramblings and going on's in my life. Some exciting and some not so much...so I will spice those experiences up. LOL Jump on board and follow me along this journey I call "life".

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Beautiful Scars

My friend Erin gave me a book that their ladies group had read entitled "Your Scars are Beautiful to God" by Sharon Jaynes. It is a wonderful book that I highly recommend. The author talks about physical scars that we can see, such as scars from childhood injuries or those from surgeries. I have the ugliest scar from my gall bladder. It was the days before laser and my gall bladder was bigger than normal from disease, and it really is ugly. You would think that after 21 years it would look better. I also have scars on my leg where I fell on a floor furnace when I was a little thing. I have an ugly scar on my hand from making candy apples for a function at church. The funny thing about that scar is that I feel like it is a double whammy. The reason is that there was lots of hurt at that church. For some reason some people feel like they can say any and everything to the pastor and wife and we should just take the abuse. There are also scars on our heart that others can't see. When I see that I scar, I am reminded of horrible things that happened there. It reminds me of a time in my life that I would just as soon forget. Those are the scars that have laid on my heart. The scars that I need to heal to get on with life. Those scars are not so easy to get over. It takes time and the master Healer to help us overcome these things in life. The author of the book talks about how if we don't forgive, then our wound never becomes a beautiful scar. It is just a wound with a scab that we keep picking at over and over and never get any healing. How true this statement is for anything or anyone who has done you wrong in life. We all have these scars in life. Things happen and people say things that wound us to our very heart, but we can't let things like that cripple us for life. I encourage anyone that has had troubles and hurt in life to get this book and read it. It will not only help you, but it will allow you to help others who are hurting.

One of the best books that I have read in a long time. The author keeps your attention with case studies of real people and how they realized their scars were beautiful. Highly recommended.

2 comments:

  1. I never really thought about Jesus' scars until this book. He came to the world to save us all and He did a lot of good while He was here. But His ultimate goal was not accomplished until He received those scars. Sometimes I wonder if that's how it is with us. We can do a lot of good as Christians but until we go through a trial that reveals our true need and utter dependence on God, can we really be effective? Just like Jesus' own disciples didn't beleive He was who He said He was until they saw his scars, will people believe us when we say our help comes from Him if we have never really needed help. Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good thought. Gives me something to think about.

    ReplyDelete