About Me

My photo
This blog is made up of the ramblings and going on's in my life. Some exciting and some not so much...so I will spice those experiences up. LOL Jump on board and follow me along this journey I call "life".

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

NC Farms

As we travel back and forth from Pender County to Moore County, I have found the farm land that we pass by most interesting. I love looking at all the tobacco fields, soy bean fields and all the crops as we travel. There is something that just stirs in me as I see a farmer out on his tractor in a field plowing or harvesting a crop. I love going by and seeing them on the harvester picking those bottom leaves off the tobacco. Farm equipment in general fascinates me for some reason. I don't really know why, but it is a little interest of mine. It might be more the price of those machines that totally blow my mind. I went to Revels Farms in Fuquay one time and Mr. Kent explained how they plant the tobacco in those trays and float them in the greenhouses until time to plant them in the fields. It was so exciting to learn that, because I would have never imagined that was how you started your tobacco plants. I thought they were like cabbage, you just went to a store and bought the plants. But you start them by seeds. Who knew?? The picture below is of a farm in Moore County.

To me there is nothing no prettier than a ready to pick field of cotton. I am sure to those who have picked your fair share in the past probably think that I am crazy. All that white fluff in a field as far as the eye can see is so beautiful. It is hard to believe something so pretty can stab in your fingers until blood is drawn. It amazes me that this is a crop that provides clothes for us. Not an edible crop...at least I have never heard of anyone eating cotton. The cotton in the picture below is a farm on Hwy 53 between Fayetteville and Elizabethtown.

I love the picture below. The cotton field above is on the other side of the road of this silo and hale bales. If you have read my blog before, you know the secret love I have for large round hay bales. I wish I could have gotten the whole field in the picture, as it was dotted all over with those bales of hay. It was like an artist had pondered and strategical placed them just in the right spot.

This soybean field is also between Tramway and Sanford on Hwy 78. I love those big fields with luscious green color, which seems to stretch for miles. I ate some soybeans this past weekend on a salad for the first time, and they were very delicious.

This to me the perfect picture of a true NC farm. This farm is on Hwy 78 between Tramway and Sanford. I know that when we have lived around farmers, their work is never done. You can hear them as early as 4 am and sometimes as late as 2 am. To me the farmer is the heart of our nation. The ones who supply us with food and keeps us going. On Hwy 421 around Clinton, you can see fields of cucumbers, squash, peppers, watermelons and sweet potatoes. Down on the coast there are fields after fields of strawberries and blueberries. It takes all kinds of crops to provide for us. I salute the farmers all over, but especially those who farm the land in North Carolina.


1 comment:

  1. I'm a farm-lover myself. So glad you figured out the picture thing, lol! Love looking at your pictures, and you are a great writer!

    ReplyDelete