About Me

My photo
This blog is made up of the ramblings and going on's in my life. Some exciting and some not so much...so I will spice those experiences up. LOL Jump on board and follow me along this journey I call "life".

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Spanish

My one and only bowl of Chicken Tortilla soup at O'Charley's.

I decided that I was going to learn to speak Spanish this year (since I have been mistaken for a spanish lady 5 times just this year), so I bought a Spanish book and workbook (at a thrift store for .50) I really wanted Rosetta Stone, but I don't seem to have $300 lying around unused at the moment. I also got a Spanish/English dictionary at the thrift store for a quarter. There is just one problem....it doesn't let me hear how the words are pronounced. With my southern accent, I could be saying anything. I especially like the word for a female dog...perra. The male dog is perro. I guess I like it because I can pronounce it. The words for papa and potato are....potato is papa and papa is papa'. This had me very confused, so I did what anyone with a thirst for knowledge would do. I asked the Latino boy that works at Radio Shack to say these two words for me in Spanish so I would know the correct pronunciation. My conclusion is that when I do learn to speak Spanish....I won't say the words potato or papa. I have also decided that I can read Spanish way better than I can speak it. Maybe I will call James Scott Farrin on his hot line and ask if I can be a reading interpreter. If anyone has Rosetta Stone for Spanish that they are wanting to give away, just let me know.


Sunday Mark and I went to O'Charley's for lunch. They had my very favorite thing in the whole wide world. Chicken Tortilla Soup...yum yum!!! We got the endless soup, salad and rolls entree. I was ready for my soup. She brought out our bowls of soup and informed us that we got the last of the Chicken Tortilla soup. How can this be the soup of the day and you run out at 1:30 in the afternoon. Don't they realize that the day is not over yet. Well, needless to say that put a damper on the endless soup bowl. They now had beef stew soup....I tried it....it was not worthy enough to have it's picture taken. Not bad, but not good. Needless to say that we got a club sandwich and split it. I hate it when a restaurant has a special of the day and runs out. Don't they know that when it is for the day, you need to plan to have enough for the whole day. This happened to us at a little diner in Rocky Point. Smiley's if any of you remember it...it went out of business. They had a big write up in the Pender Post or Chronicle about their fried chicken on Thursday. How it was hand breaded and so on. Mark and I go over on a Thursday at 11:30 am....yes, 11:30 am, and they are out of chicken. They had run out in 30 minutes. I ask again, and their response was that they had just filled 13 orders. I am no restaurant owner, but when you have a special of the day after a big write up in the paper...you need to have more chicken than for 13 plates. Gosh, I might cook enough enough chicken for supper to do at least 5 plates. When it comes to my eats now I am serious. Don't go yanking my chain or dangling some appetizing dish in front of me only to come back and tell me that you are out of it. When it says endless soup and you have a soup of the day....I might want more than one shallow bowl.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, this is an important topic. The people need to rise up in indignation. Keep up the great blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I do not have a spanish Rosetta Stone, although I can pronounce the language when I read it....what am I saying? Who knows!! LOL

    Second, I completely agree about your restaurant issue. We've run into that at Cracker Barrel...."Breakfast all day" evidently does NOT include oatmeal, which is over at 1030. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete