About Me

My photo
This blog is made up of the ramblings and going on's in my life. Some exciting and some not so much...so I will spice those experiences up. LOL Jump on board and follow me along this journey I call "life".

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Cherished!!!

This past week found me thinking about things I cherish...not people but things. I know that sounds so shallow, but there are few things that I hold dear to my heart. Most can be replaced, especially with sites like Ebay. I have found that you have nothing unique anymore, go on Ebay and there will be page after page of your "one of a kind" heirloom....just minus the memories that goes along with yours. These are things that when we move, I personally take these items in our van. They never go in a box, and I always know where they are. I couldn't take pictures of everything that I cherish, so there are only a few pictures.

My most prized possession is my vanity chair. It was my Nanny's. It is a scroll wrought iron chair with a cushion on the bottom and back. When I first received the chair it was white with a purple velvet covering on the cushions. Since I have had it, it has been a rainbow of colors. Right now it is celery green with a green and gold material covering the cushion. I have always called the chair the "biscuit chair", because the cushion looks like little biscuits in the pan. My nanny had this chair in her bedroom and I use to set in it as I played dress up and looked through all her lipsticks and jewelry. I can still see it in my mind sitting in her room. To this day it is still referred to as "nanny's chair". I have had it over 25 years and I guess in my heart, I have never taken possession of it. I still use it today to sit at my vanity to put on my make up and do my hair. Probably means nothing else to anyone, but means the world to me.

With my other grandma "mam ma" as we called her, I have something entirely different that I cherish. Something that no one would even imagine. I have a old plastic lard bucket filled with curlers. Why is this so special? Because every Sunday afternoon I would drag this bucket out and curl and play with her hair. I think this is really funny now, because I hate to touch hair. She loved for someone to mess with her hair, and this provided hours of entertainment for me. This is one of my fondest memories with her. Nothing grand but a bucket full of curlers that holds some childhood memories.

Then I have my scrapbooks. From high school through our married life. These are the one thing that can't be replaced. The memories that flood our minds as we look at the pictures and see the people from our present life and from our past. They are irreplaceable.


Below is a Cameo Head Doll that was my Nanny Sizemore's. She is 89 years old now. She gave this to me about 6 years ago. I had always admired it even as a little girl. I causally mentioned it one day at her house...she had it packed up. She went running in the next room, and came out with it. She gave it to me, and it was as beautiful has I had always remembered. My Godfather had brought it back to her on one of his trips overseas. It still has the original pink hard plastic roses in her head. I cherish this so much, mainly because who gave it to me. I am sure when Papa Sizemore picked it out for her, it was picked and given with much love.


The plate below was also given to me by Nanny Sizemore. It is a plate of Napoleon and Josephine. She actually bought this plate in France. She thought it was beautiful, but debated on whether to buy it or not for over a month. It was purchased in the 40's, when they were stationed overseas. It always sat on the same table as the Cameo Head. I always thought of the two as a set.


I have more things such as my Willow Tree Nativity set that between my mom and Mark, they purchased for me. I leave it up all year long...we shouldn't just celebrate Christ birthday one day a year.
I have lots of Shih-Tzu figurines that Mark bought me. They are the Sandy Cast, and they look so much like Lilly. My mom just bought me a new one with a little Shih-Tzu sitting in a tea cup. I love them.
Finally my mom and dad bought us an antique Empire Buffet several years back. It is absolutely the prettiest piece of furniture that I have ever seen. I love it!! In the buffet I keep my grandma's china, which I found out were my Nanny Sizemore's first set of china. She gave them to my grandma when she got another set. That makes them doubly special. I have lots more things that I cherish. But for the sake of sounding shallow, I won't go on. LOL I think it is nice to have things you like and cherish, as long as they don't become obsessions and rule over you.

No comments:

Post a Comment