About Me

My photo
This blog is made up of the ramblings and going on's in my life. Some exciting and some not so much...so I will spice those experiences up. LOL Jump on board and follow me along this journey I call "life".

Monday, March 15, 2010

Outer Mongolian!!!

A friend from high school, John McIntyre, talks all the time about this restaurant on Facebook called Bdobo. It is located in University Landing shopping center in Wilmington. After seeing picture after picture that he had posted on Facebook of their wonderful looking food, I knew I had to try it. Mark and I decided to try it this weekend. Oh my, was it fantastic. Well, it was so good that we found ourselves eating there on Friday, Saturday and Monday. We are getting known there, but not as well as John. I had to mention John's name to our waiter, he knew him and told us how nice a person John was...this immediately elevated our status as a customer. Thanks John!!


Bdobo is a Mongolian Grill. We had never had Mongolian food before. It was so delicious. It is a buffet. Well, the part that we ate anyway. I think that you can order from a menu. You fill a bowl with noodles, raw vegetables and raw meat. Then you ladle on all kinds of sauces. This is what gives it such a unique flavor. I have never eaten anything that tasted the same. I mix different veggies, meats and sauces all the time. I am especially fond of the calamari on the bar. There is pork, beef, chicken, shrimp and calamari. Too many veggies to name. Then you give your bowl to the chef, who cooks it on a big round grill with 2 overgrown chop sticks. That is a show within itself. You are served soup, rice and sesame bread along with the buffet. The sesame bread rapidly became a favorite for me. The staff at Bdobo are so nice and friendly. If you leave hungry, then it is your own fault.



This has quickly become our favorite restaurant in Wilmington. If you come to Wilmington or live in the area, so have to try it.


One of my unique creations that I made. Lots of zucchini with beef and calamari.

I was very intrigued with the cooking technique part, and found out a little bit about it. The legend is that Mongolian cooking was introduced in China by Genghis Khan when he invaded in the 13th century. According to legend, Khan's armies camped at night , built bonfires and threw their round iron shields down on the hot embers for use as a cooking surface. Thus arose the tradition of the Mongolian Grill. They were not equipped with fine cooking utensils, so they used their swords. Today they use two over sized chopsticks. Which is the most amazing part of watching them. They say that the adding of the fresh vegetables is mainly a Chinese innovation.


A Mongolian grill...not the one at Bdobo, but wanted you to see how unique it ready was...the over sized chop sticks are a blurr in this picture as they rapidly roll your food on the grill.

A big thank you goes out to JMac for always mentioning how great the food is here, and for always telling us on Facebook just how stuffed you are when you leave here. Seriously, had it not been for his post of FB, we may have never found this great treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment