About Me

My photo
This blog is made up of the ramblings and going on's in my life. Some exciting and some not so much...so I will spice those experiences up. LOL Jump on board and follow me along this journey I call "life".

Saturday, March 27, 2010

FRIED GRITS!!!

In my last blog, I wrote about foods of the South. Well, today we experienced one of those foods thanks to my mom. She cooked us some fried grits. Boy were they good. I learned several things about making this dish. First, never use instant grits (and what self-respecting Southern would...a reference to the movie My Cousin Vinny) also make your grits the night before and let them set in the refrigerator...make sure to cover them. We always used left over grits from breakfast the day before. She fixed them 2 ways. One in squares and dipped in a beaten egg then fried (the most traditional way). The other way she mixed a beaten egg in with the grits and then fried it (this made like a pancake shape). They were both good. Make sure that you use lots of butter when you make your grits, and also fry in butter. Next time she is going to let Mark sample the Sunday School potatoes and chocolate gravy with a hoe cake...YUM!!! I can't wait for that time. Mark loved this family tradition of ours. I can't believe that we have been married for almost 18 years and we had never fixed this wonderful dish for him before now....UMMMM!!!


One of the squares of fried grits that mom made. They were super yummy!! You have to give this a try.





Frying a pan of grits up in the pancake style...notice the cast iron skillet. They cook things up so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment