About Me

My photo
This blog is made up of the ramblings and going on's in my life. Some exciting and some not so much...so I will spice those experiences up. LOL Jump on board and follow me along this journey I call "life".

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Looking Forward!!

Things lately have been busy. I am thankful that I was prepared for most of the Christmas season, but there are always last minute things that need to be done. Had to go and buy lots of Christmas bags. I had bags, but they were way too small. I am now in hunt for my candles for the candlelight service. I need 3 purple or gold, 8 white and 7 green or earthy tones. The purple are the hardest to find and hopefully the florist will be able to help me with that. Thankfully, I labeled and really organized everything from the candlelight service last year; but the candles didn't make it through that North Carolina summer heat. They are so warped. So having to replace them. Can't wait for the candlelight service this Sunday.





Still trying to keep up with my "Mitzvah" project. Sent Amanda an envelope full of coupons. I am sending 2 packages today to some unsuspecting people. They both are very deserving of a surprise. I did receive a surprise in the mail. Amanda sent me 2 books to read. How sweet was that? These are 2 that I haven't even read yet, so I was thrilled. Left a bag full of socks at Amanda's parents. The family they have adopted is in need of things and socks were on the list. I got a double blessing this week...an extra check. Since God blessed me, I felt it only right to help bless someone else.





I finally got all my presents in the bags and have all things labeled. The Garner's are getting together this week. Can't wait to see the kids as they open their gifts. They bring us so much joy. 6 little nieces to fill us with the Christmas Spirit.





I guess we will still be observing the "Feast of the Seven Fishes" on Christmas Eve. Mom scares me every year with talking about not doing it again. Shame on you. lol We use to have all kinds of seafood until mom's health just won't let her stand up long enough to cook all that seafood. Flounder and spots are on our list this year. This is my favorite thing that we do each Christmas. Seafood, homemade fries, slaw, hush puppies and some southern sweet tea.



The "Feast of the Seven Fishes" is said to have come from Southern Italy, but today is a completely Italian-American celebration. A dinner on Christmas Eve is celebrated with meals of fish and seafood, but there may be seven, eight, or even nine specific fishes that are considered traditional. The most famous dish Southern Italians are known for is Baccalà (salted cod fish). Reasons for celebrating with such a simple fish as Baccalà is attributed to the greatly impoverished regions of Southern Italy. We have never had cod...always flounder for us. Fried Smelts, calamari, and other types of seafood have been incorporated into the Christmas Eve dinner over the years, and sensationalized with the American version of "The Seven Fishes


We have done oysters, shrimp, calamari, shrimp scampi, scallops, flounder, crabs, spots and any other seafood that we can get our hands on. 2 problems now kind of put a damper on the Feast of the Seven Fishes, 1) money...seafood has gone sky high and 2) time to prepare all that food. It is still the best tradition that we have. I am so looking forward to this time. Mom, I still want my flounder baked. Just a little request.

Merry Christmas to all and treasure the traditions that you and your family observe.

No comments:

Post a Comment