About Me

My photo
This blog is made up of the ramblings and going on's in my life. Some exciting and some not so much...so I will spice those experiences up. LOL Jump on board and follow me along this journey I call "life".

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Tribute


Oh, say, can you see, by the dawn's early light, What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming? Whose broad stripes and bright stars, thro' the perilous fight, O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming? And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,Gave proof thro' the night that our flag was still there. O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?


I found myself wide awake at 6 am this morning with a little story or note churning in my head. Since I have never bought a mini recorder, I grabbed a note pad and started writing. Here is what flowed from my heart through my pen.



My eyes scanned the crowded restaurant. I know I saw him come in here. There was no mistaken that it was him that I saw. Finally my eyes hit upon my target. There he sat looking a little weary but never the less radiant in my eyes. He wasn't too hard to spot as all eyes in that over flowing restaurant seemed to be on him. To me he was the most gorgeous creature I had ever seen. A picturesque form of American loyalty. The best part was that he cared about me. A genuine care that runs to the depth of his soul. The waitress placed his order in front of him, and he began to eat. He ate slowly as if savoring every morsel. How long since he had a home cooked meal? I rise from my seat, but quickly sit back down. I should go over and say something to him. But what? I know he has seen me staring at him. I rise quickly before changing my mind. My legs shake as I make my way through the crowded room. As I get closer, my shoulders no longer sag; but I walk straight and proud. As I try to compose my thoughts, I find myself already at his table. The sight of him takes my breath away. He lifts his head and our eyes meet. I immediately see the love shining in them. I swallow hard, then I hold out my hand. He stands and takes my hand. With tears pooling up in my eyes, I finally find my voice. "Thank you for loving me and this great country that you would sacrifice your life for us. Thank you for defending our freedom and our peace of mind. For allowing us to raise our families not in fear, but in love. Thank you for your service and loyalty to our great nation." I pause to catch my breath, and notice tears are streaming down his face. I suddenly realize he is not alone as I feel the wetness on my own cheeks. I turn to leave but then turn back and face this American Soldier. I salute him. For he and all the other men and women who have served this great country we call The United States of America are truly the heroes of our land. Freedom is not free, and we salute those who have paid the ultimate price for providing it for us. To all Veterans and Active Service Men and Women, "Thank you", for truly making this country "THE LAND OF THE FREE AND THE HOME OF THE BRAVE".


During my lifetime, I have had the privilege of knowing lots of Veterans or Active Duty Service Men and Women, but I have 2 that stand out in my mind. I just want to pay tribute to not only to all Veterans, but to my 2 special soldiers.



This is Jeffrey Bain. He is active in the National Guard. During the time we served at the church where he attended, Jeffrey was called up to serve his time in Iraq. This was the first soldier that I had ever known in active duty going to war. I watched as he and his family (wife Amy and son Kyle) prepared for his departure. I saw first hand how he willingly left his family to fight for me and for you...for this great land. I witnessed the struggles of his wife Amy as she was left behind to be the sole parent and caregiver for their son. I watched as with a heavy heart Jeffrey left his family behind so not only could they, but also our families continue to enjoy the freedom that we know here in America. I remember how I held my breath each time that I asked her if Jeffrey was okay, and how we rejoiced when she had heard from him. I felt sad that Jeffrey was missing a whole year of his son's life, and how my heart ached for Kyle as his dad left for war. They may never know how many prayers went up for them during this time. Not only for Jeffrey's safety, but for Amy and Kyle as husband and father were gone. How we prayed that God would speed up those days until he returned, and fill that void in their life and Jeffrey's life with activities and good friends to help pass those waiting days and months. I prayed that Kyle would understand all of this and feel his father's love from afar. Jeffrey did return home safely after his tour in Iraq. He shared pictures and a few stories with us. I am sure he saw things there that he just as soon to forget. Knowing someone personally who has gone to fight for you makes you look at our military differently. They are not just nameless faces to me....they are dads, moms, sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, co workers and friends. Their life matters to someone, and it matters to me. To give your life so that I might be able to exercise any amendments that I chose....that is love. I salute you Jeffrey Bain and your family who gives you up to serve us.



My second soldier is Charlie Campbell. Charlie served in the Marines and during the Vietnam War. I didn't know Charlie when he was actively serving our country. Charlie stands out in my mind for several reasons. First, he has a genuine love for people. I have no doubt that he thought about all the Americans he was fighting for during the time he served. He has a great love for the people of this great land. Secondly, Charlie not only loves the people of America...He loves America. He is one of the most patriotic persons that I know. He is true red blooded American through and through. He is a prime example of a Marine. He is disciplined and still has that soldier stance...stands tall and proud. I am thankful for men like Charlie, who over 30 years fought for the freedom that I have been able to enjoy all my life. Without those who have fought the battle before us, where would we be? I salute you Charlie Campbell in fighting to keep freedom a word that Americans can proudly say. We sometimes take that word for granted, but your sacrifices are not forgotten. You most definitely exemplify the Marines Motto. Semper Fi which means Always Faithful.
As I wrote this blog this morning, tears flowed down my face. Soldiers and their families hold a special place in my heart. I take your service to this country so personally. You are fighting or have fought for me....Tracey Garner, and to that I salute you. Let me close with words from the Lord "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13

























1 comment:

  1. So touching Tracy...you have such a beautiful way with works...
    ~Brooks

    ReplyDelete